Minutes: January 13, 2015
Diversity Committee Minutes: 1-13-15
Meeting Presentation: http://prezi.com/kh_jpmjr1gz_/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share
Meeting Goal: Address Diversity Showcase and resources.
1. Website updated regularly
II. Committee Goal 1: Action Plans for Diversity Showcase
1. Time Frame w/Reservation Proposal: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at Allen Performing Arts Center (4 hrs: 5-9pm)
2. Parameters: Ten Participants by Invitation Only (i.e. dual-language student group at Boyd, step club at Ford etc.)
3. Sponsorship needed for: signage, advertising in Allen Image and local businesses, senior scholarships.
4. Use of Facilities Approved and Reserve: table cloths, tables, auditorium sound booth, mics/lights.
5. Pre-Show Carnival at 5pm (Bleu Café’ w/Researched Food of World Cultures, Face Painting, District Pics via Tim Carroll, and Art Contest w/donated prizes and City Business Art Judges – City Council, Tony Hill, Rotary Club, Project Kid Contacts.
6. Potential Sponsorship for Future Years: Food tickets, Silent Auction for increasing scholarship revenue.
7. Diversity Showcase performances and scholarship recognitions at 6pm with art/foreign language/step clubs, choir performances in different languages.
III. Committee Goal 2: Action Plans for Increasing Diversity Awareness in the Community
1. Advertise AllenISD Diversity on Social Media (i.e. #allenisddiversity on Twitter)
Commenced meeting with brief video as a means of demonstrating possibilities for diversity committee.
I. Committee Goal 1: Action Plans for Diversity Showcase scheduled for Tuesday, Feb 2 from 5pm to 9pm
1. Seeking AISD superintendent cabinet for official date/logistical approval per M.Zoeller.
2. Use of the PAC approved per chairman
3. Use of out-of-district/business Vendors potentially the following year
4. Showcase Sub-Committee Chair (Becca Penny) – Requesting list of student groups/performances on select campuses and others interested in being on the Sub-Committee for Diversity Showcase email email@example.com
5. Proposal for Sub-Committee for Diversity Scholarship with action plans for funding and application criteria.
6. Proposal for Diversity Student Scholarship for individual senior and recognition for a student group. This scholarship to be presented at the 2016 Diversity Showcase.
II. Professional Development opportunity: College Board “Equity in Education” conference in March 2015.
III. Interest in Staff/Student/Community Survey. See Tim Carroll for diversity-related questions on previous surveys; Proposed survey goals are: To be aware of hiring practices, student programming, and researched-based professional development. Note: Omit open-ended responses to avoid the challenge of disaggregating data.
IV. Committee Goal 2: Action Plans for Increasing Diversity Awareness in the Community
1. Twitter site in progress
2. Proposal for use of Facebook
Next meeting: May 12, 2015
A. Continue addressing two active sub-committees (showcase and scholarships) for 2016 Diversity Showcase
B. Address a potential Diversity Survey